Thursday, December 18, 2008

Rejection Lessons

Let me ask you something, what is not art? ~Author Unknown


I am usually the happy person, the glass is always half full, I have a smile on my face when the worst is happening around me.
I admit it. I hate being rejected, really who likes likes it? When it comes to my craft/art, it stings. It is personal. This is my art. this is a part of me, my personality, my life. When a major art show rejects me, I understand, maybe the judges wanted more Art, less craft, more ,contemporary, I accept that. When a group of my peers forming a local co-op of potters and jewelry artists rejects me because my work is "cute" and doesn't fit into there idea of art, that hurts. I wanted to be able to contribute and teach others what I know. There are only a handful of artists working in colored porcelain in the country. I know techniques that I am more than willing to share. I would like to be around other artists, for inspiration, to bounce ideas off of one another.Not art

Why is a pot thrown on a wheel, or a beaded bracelet more artsy than a hand built critter ? I will tell you why, art hates cute. If its cute, it does not belong in any form of an art show. If I made colorful yellow and red dogs, and put pink polka dots on them, it is art.Does that make sense to the real world? It is an unusual world the artists live in. I guess to them I am an outsider, despite the fact I have been making a living at this for over 15 years, I have never belonged to that exclusive network of being an artist. I will go back to working alone in my studio, licking my wounds, I will recover, tomorrow is another day, and I will continue to make what is true to my soul. I will be happy again, just give me a little time to recover from being rejected by my peers.

4 comments:

Indy said...

I like your "not art" unicorn better than whatever that first photo was of!

I agree...just because something is strange or ugly or shocking doesn't make it art, and just because something is cute or beautiful doesn't make it not art.

My cousin is an "artist", and one of her "peices" consisted of dead bug bodies in glass jars with the names of people who had been killed in guerilla warfare on them. What makes that art - the fact that it's a political statement?

Another one of her "peices" consisted of flat metal cutouts of soldiers placed among some trees.

Okay. But I don't think that's art. At least, not art I'm willing to pay for.

Anonymous said...

Oh Pamela, I'm so sorry. The truth is the art you create is beautiful and the judgments of others are only that. They don't define who we are or what we create.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this beholder thinks what you create is magnificent!! You're more than entitled to your pain, it's well deserved and a tragedy that others have to behave this way.

Keep true to your heart my friend, it will never let you down.♥

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

That sukhks -

But as we dogs know all to well, peeple are stooopid!

As a proud owner of one of your Siberian khreations and a proud purchaser of more, I know furst paw your talents.

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: My mom tries to be half full and smilie too BUT some days.......

Freida said...

Well, I don't know what to say Pam!? Your art is incredible and makes a 'statement' all it's own - as a buyer, friend, and admirer of yours I can only wish I were near to hug you!
I've been subject to this many times and can only tell you that 'they' don't appreciate things they don't have to "explain" and having to "explain" your work tells me that I've done something wrong!
I just don't get it either - I don't want to cut purple elk and pink trees! But that's what you have to do in order to be an "artist", I guess....
{{{hugs}}} sweetness, I LOVE! what you create and you are, in every sense of the 'word', an artist!!
Freida