Monday, February 16, 2009

Procrastination and Inspiration


An artist's career always begins tomorrow. ~James McNeill Whistler

Inspiration is sometimes hard work. I can spend hours procrastinating, wondering what I want to make, what I should make.Those are usually two different things, which makes it even harder to create something. I know I have to make what sells, this is what I do for a living. There are some days I wake up and just know… ok, I must make this today or I have this wholesale order that has to be there by the end of the month, so I have to create exactly what someone else demands of me.This is a lot different than other types of artists who create works that will hang in galleries, waiting to be loved, purchased and taken home. You get the good with the bad in this case, if I make what I want all of the time, I wouldn’t be able to support my own habits of buying clay…eating food.

So what happens when the muse is gone, won't come visiting, there you sit, in front of a blank canvas, or if you worked a sculpture too hard that it becomes a odd looking lump of clay? Luckily for me, I sculpt and paint, usually if one isn't working I can work on the other. Some days neither is, then what. Do I give up? Sometimes, Do I try something else? Sometimes. I like to read. I can pick up an art book, go to a museum, visit a park. The most important thing I can do for myself is to seek outside influences, Other artists. Artist tend to be isolated, like me, we work at home, or in a studio by ourselves. Inspiration can be difficult without feedback. Working with other artists is the best inspiration. You can be amazed what other artists will do for you. Offer suggestions, give you ideas for new designs, they really can and will encourage you to move ahead with your art. We all are filled with creativity, sometimes we just need that little spark to light us along the way.

Even on the internet, quality artists are out there to help you. I have to give a pay it forward to two artists who have helped me recently. Thank you to Dreameyce Studio for shop advice,and a great big hug to Popogirl Animal Art for her eye opening artistic advice.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

3 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I was afraid I was facing that same issue when I had to judge BIS!

I know your pain!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Here's to an inspiring day for woo - we all have those moments but then the light dawns.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Anonymous said...

Love what you shared and every word is true and it's such an honor to be a part of this wonderful world of art. Kudos to your two recent muses for inspiring and assisting!