Tuna training treats for Dogs (Cats love them too!)This tuna cookie is a great reward for teaching your dog something new, It stays soft so it is a easy and quick reward. This is a really great training treat. It has a perfect texture so it's firm and easy to manage. Works well in a bait bag during agility or obedience training.
You will also notice our pets hanging by the the oven door waiting for the treats as they have a distinctive odor while baking... forwarned!!!
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna (do not drain)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Mix all ingredients with an electric mixer until well blended.
- Spread mixture into a greased, (I spray it with Pam) cookie sheet. Roll out or flatten with fingers until 1/2" thick
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes covered and then another 15 minutes uncovered. .
- Let cool and cut into slices or bit sized pieces, I use a pizza cutter, works great
- Store in refrigerator or freeze in ziplock bags, make sure they are labeled, Hubby and kids don't like Tuna treats!
Alterations and Disclaimer!
Make sure your Pet has no allergies to any of the ingredients, For dogs that have allergies to wheat , you can replace the recipe with gluten free rice flour, which also works.
the garlic may be omited, I have made them without the cheese, with no problems, they may be a little drier, but my dogs haven't noticed or really care! I have also used salmon or mackeral instead of tuna.