Wednesday, April 22, 2009

To be, or not to be

Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.
Henry Ward Beecher



If this quote is as true a most would believe, than I have a problem. My true nature rears its ugly head as a cute little puppy. (or a pretty, pink Puff Dragonling)


While I may love to work in realism, spending hours sculpting or painting one particular item, my true gift is creating the whimsical, cute, and just plain adorable. It just comes naturally.I can't help it. The harder I try to create the amazing likeness of realism, the cuter it gets. Take these two unicorns, one I created over several hours of sculpting, working, studying form , function, how the leg turns, how the muscle would move, the other as a whimsical figurine, in less than a quarter of time the other takes, so what sells? The downright, comical, "awww, its sooo cute". The other barely gets a passing glance.


I accept my gifts, as much as I try to rebel sometimes, I want to

be a serious artist, but I guess I am a whimsical, fanciful, comical, silly, cute artist. My true nature at work...


1 comment:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

One has to be what one is!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra The Pawsylvania Siberian with the non-talented mom